Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dexter is indeed delicious!

My husband and I are huge fans of the Showtime series "Dexter". Tim first came across it during a bout of insomnia a couple of years ago and instantly became hooked, watching the first two seasons via On Demand. Then he wrangled me into watching it about halfway through season 3.

Much to my chagrin, I too was hooked! "Dexter" is fabulous, funny, macabre, and suspenseful. I never thought that I'd find myself cheering for a serial killer and hoping he wouldn't get caught. I watched the show faithfully for two more seasons, blissfully unaware that it was based on a series of books.

A quick Google search led me to discover that Jeff Lindsay was the creator of Dexter and there were at least four books on the market about my favorite serial killer. I immediately headed over to my local public library and checked them all out - imagine my excitement when I discovered that there were actually five!!

Book #1
Book #2


Book #3
Book #4
Book #5

The Dexter books are fabulous, even more so than the show, which is hard to imagine. Dexter Morgan, a blood-spatter analyst, lives a lie. He pretends to be "normal" and to fit in so that no one suspects he is actually a serial killer, albeit a "good" one, killing only those who are bad and deserve to die. What makes the books (and the show) so great is not only the unique concept but Dexter's narration and inner monologue, which is equally humorous, ironic, and heartwarming.

Do yourself a favor and pick up these books, whether or not you've seen the Showtime series, because Dexter gives the mystery/suspense genre a whole new definition.

Happy reading!
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment